Rideau Canal Museum – Restoration


Project Architect:

Louise McGugan

Completion Date:

1991

Project Description:

Located on the historic Rideau Canal waterway, the Woods Mill Complex was constructed in the 1890’s.  The buildings were abandoned and in a severe state of decay when purchased by Parks Canada in 1980.  The project included the replanning and construction of a “new” building within the existing shell, the restoration of the exterior envelope, reconstruction of the demolished granary, and mansard roofs of the East Mill.  The complex is now occupied by the Rideau Canal Museum and offices for Parks Canada.