The By Ward Market Building was constructed in 1927 in the centre of Ottawa’s 150 year old outdoor market. The purpose of the renovation project is to transform the building into a traditional public market, similar to Toronto’s St. Lawrence Market and Vancouver’s Granville Island Market. The initiative is intended to reinforce the food based economy of the market area on a year round basis. The $1,500,000 project was undertaken by the By Ward Market Building Revitalization Group, a private investor. The project includes doubling the rentable ground floor area, introducing glazed overhead doors for seasonal use and completely retrofitting the building’s infrastructure. The project was opened to the public in the summer of 1998.
The renovation project was awarded a Certificate of Merit in Adaptive Re-use from the City of Ottawa in 1998.